- short grain rice
- cold water
- rice vinegar
- granulated sugar
2. When the rice is free of excess starch and the water is not cloudy anymore, drain and place in a rice cooker.
3. Add the water and let the rice cooker do its work. If you do not have a rice cooker, cook the rice on low heat in a covered stockpot but be careful not to burn the rice.
4. When the rice is cooked, allow it to steam- up for ten minutes, so do not remove the cover before these ten minutes have passed.
5. While the rice is cooking, combine the other ingredients making sure the sugar has dissolved. You can warm the mix in a microwave a bit if the sugar does not dissolve well.
6. Spread the cooked rice over a flat surface, a wide based bowl is best.
7. Call somebody to help you! You need to add the vinegar mix, ladle it carefully through and fan the rice, by hand, at the same time and you only have two hands.
8. The fanning is important, it helps to let the excess liquid evaporate with that you get a nice polished shine.
9. The Sushi rice is now ready for use.
10. Form a bit of the rice in an oblong shape in the palm of your hand and top with a piece of your favorite fish.